The Friends have devised walking trails around the University campuses. These may be available to local groups. Please contact thefriends (usual at sign) reading.ac.uk for further information.
Exhibition remains open until 15 September inc. Friends member Jenny Halstead and Linda Saul invited Friends to attend for a talk and a viewing of an exhibition by 20 artists in the Turbine House, Blakes Lock (beside Bel and the Dragon).
We will be continuing our series of Heritage Days with our guided tour around the historic London Road campus. Open to all. Booking essential Further information on the Heritage Open Days website
A coach trip on Saturday 5 October to the Docklands Museum to see the Secret Rivers Exhibition, and then to sights in Limehouse, Shadwell, Wapping and St Katherine’s Dock.
Members were sent a booking form in August. There will be a fair amount of brisk walking involved.
The illustration is a watercolour: Jacob’s Island James Lawson Stewart 1887
Museum of London
Details of a talk by Professor Peter Dorwood about ‘Climate Services for Developing Countries: the work of the University’s Participatory Integrated Climate Services for Agriculture’ on the afternoon of Wednesday 6 November 2019 will be sent to members in late August.
Photo from University of Reading website
Some Past Events
- Visit to Bermondsey and Rotherhithe 20 October 2018
- The Friends are liaising with the Senior Common Room, The University Women’s Club, Two Rivers Press and local charity RG Spaces to open up the Acacias and tell the story of Professor Edith Morley and the London Rd campus in her day. The event will run 8/9 and 16/16 September 12noon-6pm. It forms part of the national Heritage Open Days and Vote100 Reading. Members of the Friends are invited to volunteer to man the exhibition. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- The visit will start at 2.30. Further details and a booing form will be sent to members in May.
- Alumni and Supporters of the University are invited to this family fun day. Click the title for further particular and booking details.
- Once again The Friends will be taking part in this annual event on Palmer Park. Details nearer the time.
- Details of the AGM and visit are sent to members during May.
- Information nearer the event.
- A Friends’ grant is supporting this lively and friendly occasion. Bring a picnic to the London Road campus or buy your refreshments on the day. A range of activities based on the theme of ‘Everyone’s environment’, music from the Big Band and a heritage trail from The Friends.
- Members of The Friends are cordially invited to the launch of this installation of sculptures. Please click the title to see details.
- Members Dr John Grainger and Ian Burn will give a talk on the heritage trails created for The Friends’ 90th anniversary celebrations in 2017. There will be an accompanying exhibition and tea. Full details and booking form have been sent to members.