In 1926, the year in which the University obtained its Royal Charter, “it was agreed that an Association, to be called ‘The Friends of The University of Reading’, should be formed on an entirely voluntary and unofficial basis, with the object of bringing friends and supporters into contact with the University and of enabling them to promote its interests and welfare”. The Association started on 15 March 1927 with a Scheme of Association.
The Association gave (and still gives) grants to further the work of the University. The history of these can be found on the Grants page.
The Association became an Association Charitable Incorporated Organisation registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales in 2017 number 1173347.